by Margaret Turner
The formation of our new
Club is shrouded in the mists of time.
In 1898, a dozen or so
fanciers of the breed formulated the rules and regulations for an association
based in the North whose main aims were
1. The improvement of the breed
2. Better classification at shows
3. To offer certain advantages to be
enjoyed by members only.
The latter is one of the
very things that the Dachshund Club (and in modern times is still perpetualted
by certain clubs) was criticised for.
However The Northern Dachshund Association
was registered with the Kennel Club on the 21st November 1899. The main
instigator of this being Mr de Boinville with another six well known names of
the time. These were Mrs Scheerbart, Miss Pigott, Messrs Claude Woodhead, Speechly,
Ingram, Scott and of course Mr de Boinville.
Within two years the NDA
was recognised by most leading show committees.
In 1907 a standard of
points were drawn up aided by a j
notable Dachshund fancier and member of K.C. Council Mr J F Sayer. In the
1920's the members subscription was one guinea, a lot of money in those days, it
was 15/- in the 1940's and at the present time £2.50
The NDA has been
flouishing Club with a distribution of exhibitors UK wide with one Championship
Show and an Open Show per year. It had six sets of CC's in the past but
now has only three. Some of the Eminent Secretaries have included Mr Alf
Hague, Mr G Farrand, Miss K Macpherson, Mrs E Dodgson and Mrs Jane Naylor.
The last Secretary who reigned for seven years was Mr Chris Moore who sadly died
in January 2010
Move on to 1946
and the formation of the second Club which had a quite bizarre beginning. A
group of people, in a pub, sat together and noted details for the foundation of
this new Club on the back of a Woodbine packet! It was to be based in the
North East, possibly to rival the NDA. This enterprising Group was
composed of Col & Mrs Gatheral with Steve & Grace Gladwin. From this
auspicious beginning The North Eastern Dachshund Club was founded - with
no money in the bank. Members Subs were 5s-6d (27p). Records do not exist
as in those days minutes were only read out. By 1973 however, the club had
£265 in the funds. Members fees gradually rose to 10s-6d in 1970, 75p in
1978 and today a reasonable price of £2.00
The Club, with a very
small committee, has been run by Mrs Trisha Hancock since 2001, has two Open
Shows per year with a Championship Show every three years, the last one, being
held in 2010. It has a healthy bank balance looked after by Treasurer Mr
Derek Hampton, since 2001, and has a membership of 35.
Fast Forward to 2010
When after, strong hints about too many Shows and struggling entries, a plan
was formulated to merge the two leading Northern Clubs. Following the sad
death of Chris Moore, Trisha Hancock became Acting Secretary of NDA while
continuing with the NEDC. On 30th May, two Special General Meetings were
held at 12.30pm and 1.30pm with a good turnout at both. They were chaired
by Jane Naylor, the President of both Clubs. It was felt by the majority
that the bringing together of both clubs would be a positive move forward
regarding show entries, cost of fuel, the crowned canine calendar, venues etc.
The two Clubs would form one powerful Northern Dachshund base.
Although there were no
objections and a couple of abstentions, the majority vote was in favour of
amalgamation with Trisha Hancock as Acting Secretary.
The Rest is now
History : The New Club name was approved by the Kennel Club who looked
favourably on the scheme. The CC allocation is still under discussion but
seems to be going well. At the first AGM in June 2010, a good committee
was elected with Trish Hancock now full secretary, Jane Naylor remaining
President and new Treasurer, Mrs Ann Mitchell.
24th March 2012, The
Northern Counties Dachshund Association celebrates its First Championship Show
and looks forward to a long and Prosperous Future.